Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dance Fever!

What? an unfinished blog post? How terrible! How awful! How incredibly lazy of me!
Well, I have just discovered something about myself, I was destined to be an Irish Dancer! It's true! I first fell in love with dance when I watched Michael Flatley tap, click, and stamp his way across the stage. The fast rhythms thrilled me, and there was something about the music, so sprightly, so full of life, you can't listen to Irish Music and not want to dance. I started dancing when I was about 8. It was a studio that originated from Detroit and was now in my city. My friend from school approached me and my mom about this incredible opportunity. This began my whirl wind romance with dance for 10 years. I loved performing, and often there were bands that were at the same events that we were dancing at. I loved every second of it. Unfortunately I had to quit because I of school and a job that I had just gotten. While I proceeded to take ballet lessons at school and did swing dancing with my friends downtown, it was not the same as my first love. One day my mom and I were talking about Irish dance. She turned to me and said "You know, when I was pregnant with you, your dad and I went to go see this Irish band. The band also had dancers with them. I never thought I was going to give birth to an Irish dancer." I was stunned! And then we found an old cassette tape of the band called "The Renvyle Comhaltas Group" and as we listened I heard some of the Irish dancing songs that I pranced around to for ten years. Imagine, I was in my mother's womb, getting exposed to a culture that I would later embrace in their dance and with my fast approaching study abroad. I can't think this was merely a coincidence, it was fate! I was destined to be an Irish Dancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment