Friday, September 7, 2012

Uncomfortable with compliments

I am very uncomfortable with compliments. I wonder if this is a female thing. I have often heard some general female acquaintances complain that they don't get enough compliments from men/boyfriend/husband/parents etc. Yet when they do get compliments, then they scoff, say that it isn't true. Why is this?

Today, in one of my classes, my classmates had to read a paper that I wrote and then told me what they liked and what they thought I could work on. It was awful! I mean they liked it and said very good things about my writing, but I felt so uncomfortable. A spotlight was on me. My face seemed to contort and make really weird expressions. I can't smile too much because then it just looks like I am full of myself. Don't smile enough and I give the impression of a total prick!

  I am better at receiving compliments from men then I was originally. Before, I used to berate my ex-boyfriends, saying they didn't give enough compliments, only when he did I would sigh and roll my eye. Poor boy.
 He had to date me when I was just figuring out how to date.
It wasn't until one of my guy friends informed me how frustrating it was to compliment me, did I really make an effort to be more gracious in accepting compliments.

But today in class it was too much!

I guess I still have a lot to learn.


No comments:

Post a Comment